SREmG
 

Please be aware of our copyright notice. If you have a good reaon for using a photo from this site ask permission from first - it is frequently given.

SE&CR coaches

SE&CR Coach

photograph by John A Arkell.

Coach 971 is a South Eastern and Chatham designed, Southern Railway built, third class compartment coach. It was solidly built in 1923 to carry commuters to and from London and having ten compartments of ten seats this type is commonly known as a "100 seater". It was built, as was customary, reusing whatever useful parts - in this case brass door handles and grab rails from L&CDR four and six wheeled coaches - could be salvaged from withdrawn stock.

Harry Wainwright was the Chief Mechanical Engineer from the merger of the London Chatham & Dover Railway and the South Eastern Railway to form the South Eastern & Chatham Railway in 1899. His coaching stock was attractively painted, fully lined and lettered, until replaced by a plain brown livery for the WWI years, later replaced by a crimson lake livery.

SE&CR coaches were robustly built and saw service on other parts of the Southern Railway, including on the Isle of Wight where they saw service until the end of steam in 1966. Several have been preserved both on the IoW lines and on the mainland. The "birdcage" guards' lookout continued as a feature of SE&CR coaching stock with the last coach so fitted not withdrawn until 1962. Nos 971 and 1098 are preserved on the Bluebell Railway

Click on the thumbnails for a larger image.
If there is a larger version, clicking on the 'F' key will display it. Clicking again will close the window.
  • S6377

     
    Ex-SECR composite S6377 on a ferry at Southampton whilst en route to the Isle of Wight in April 1949. S6377 became part of set 507 on the island in 1950.
    Photograph: Mike Morant collection.
  • Set 660

     
    Push pull set 660 photographed at Tonbridge on 11th June 1961, not long before withdrawal. This was originally Birdcage "Trio-C" set 600 which was formed of 60ft stock - lavatory brake third 3505, lavatory composite 5473 and brake third 3433. In 1933 it was increased to six coaches with the addition of 50ft composites 5299 and 5301 and 44ft first 7278. The set was disbanded in 1941. In 1942 the two brakes lost their birdcages and were fitted with driving ends. Nos 3505 and 5473 became PP set 660 while Nos 433 and 5301 became PP set 661. Both sets were on the Bexhill West branch from 1942 to 1958. They were withdrawn in Dec and Oct 1961 respectively.
    Photograph by Chris Knowles Thomas.
  • Set 660

     
    Another photo of push pull set 660 photographed at Bexhill West. Date unknown.
    Photograph: Mike Morant collection.
  • 971

     
    Coach 971 is seen here earlier than above in the Bulleid Malachite livery.
    Photograph by John A Arkell.
  • 971

     
    A later view of SECR 100 seater 971, this time on the vintage branch line train at Horsted Keynes on 21st July 2001.
    Photograph by Colin Duff.
  • 971

     
    The detail on one end of 971, pictured at Horsted Keynes on 20th June 2003.
    Photograph by Colin Duff.
  • 1098

     
    Coach 1098 is a 1922 built, SE&CR third class compartment coach. As with 971, upon electrification of the London suburban area the coach was modified for push pull working but this time ended its British Railways days working on the Lymington branch. Withdrawn during 1962, the coach arrived at the Bluebell Railway on 2nd May 1963 where it was in almost constant use for some 29 years before a minor structural but major door overhaul during 1992-4. When outshopped it was resplendent in the Maunsell Olive livery that it wears today and fitted with through lighting control - a blessing for the Guard who previously had to operate the lights at either Horsted Keynes or Kingscote for travelling through Sharpthorne Tunnel. Seen here on the vintage branch line train at Horsted Keynes on 21st July 2001.
    Photograph by Colin Duff.
  • 1061

     
    Former SE&CR six compartment birdcage brake 1061 on the Bluebell Railway in June 1973.
    Photograph by Michael Taylor.
  • 1106

     
    This is SE&CR seven compartment "birdcage" brake 1106 pictured on the Kent and East Sussex Railway during June 1974. It was renumbered 3368 by the Southern Railway and subsequently served on the Longmoor Military Railway before going to the K&ESR.
    Photograph by Michael Taylor.
  • 1106

     
    SECR brake N°1106 seen in service at the K&ESR during 1976.
    Photograph by Michael Taylor.
  • S3368S

     
    Fast forward to 2009 and S3368S has just been outshopped in BR 1950s Maroon after restoration by the K&ESR. This photograph shows the brake end of the coach at Tenterden on 3rd May 2009.
    Photograph by Neil Walkling.
  • S3368S

     
    Photographed at Rolvenden, S3368S is the sole coach in a train headed by visiting S&ECR 01 class loco N°65 (which worked the line until the last day) on 3rd May 2009.
    Photograph by Neil Walkling.
  • S3368S

     
    Now forming the passenger accommodation of the 10:50 a.m. Bodiam - Tenterden mixed train, also photographed at Rolvenden and headed by LB&SCR A1x class N°32678 on 4th May 2009.
    Photograph by Neil Walkling.
  • S3368S

     
    BRCW type 3 N°D6570 had a turn operating between Tenterden and Rolvenden with S3386S, also photographed on 3rd May 2009.
    Photograph by Neil Walkling.

This page was last updated 28 September 2009

return to picture gallery page

SR Target