SREmG
 

Please be aware of our copyright notice. If you have a good reaon for using a photo from this site ask permission from first - it is frequently given.

LBSCR A1/A1x class 0-6-0T

Terrier animation
 

photograph: Geoff Smith collection

Maybe the oldest photo of a Terrier that we have on our web site: A1 Class º579 Minories at an unknown location. The LBSCR ran a service through the Thames Tunnel on the East London line from New Cross to Liverpool Street until 1914 for which Stroudley designed his A1 class. One of the condensing pipes that ran from the smokebox to the side tanks is clearly visible here. Minories was renumbered 679 in March 1907 and rebuilt as Class A1x in January 1912. Sold to the Admiralty in January 1918, Minories was first at Invergordon, then at Catterick in 1919 and had arrived at Chatham by 1920where she remained as Chatham º4 until being broken up in October 1933.

When Stroudley came to office for the LBSCR in the beginning of 1870, he found a situation where there was very little in the way of standardisation among the loco stock of the LBSCR. He perceived the need for a small range of standard locos and in the following 15 years produced such a range, some 8 or so standard loco classes. The class A, 'Terriers', were the smallest in the range, and were intended to be used for lightweight, block trains, particularly in the London area, where the trackwork was of light construction, with poor foundation. The first batch of Terriers was started in 1872, and the building programme lasted until 1880.

The 'Terrier' was so successful that more were built than were actually needed for the London area so their migration to the country parts of the LBSCR started. As time passed the trackwork in the London area became much improved, and the suburban traffic became much easier. Soon more powerful locos were needed for these trains and the dispersal of the 'Terriers' was made to most outlying sheds in the LBSCR, as most of them had locals services of the kind that suited the diminutive 'Terrier' well.

In total 50 were built, but by the end of the nineteenth century the need for so many had been reduced. Not only that, but after 30 years of intensive working, many of these small engines were literally worn out, and a proportion were scrapped in the first few years of the 20th century and several sold off. It was proposed to scrap the rest, but with the introduction of 'motor-trains' (push-pull) the 'Terriers' were found to be useful. For this use, new boilers were fitted, and other modifications carried out, and so the 'Terrier' became the A1X. Others had been sold to private industrial users and other railways over the previous 10 years or so. This included two to the LSWR for use on the Lyme Regis branch, to the SECR and to lesser lines.

Although BR inherited the ageing remaining 'Terriers' in 1948 for use on the IOW, KESR, Hayling Island branch, Brighton Works, Littlehampton wharf, and even on the GWR line at Weston , near Bristol, their days were again numbered, as traffic on these lines dropped off with the spread of the motor car.

The rise of the preservation movement happened just in time to rescue a few of the 'Terriers', some also had the good luck to become the playthings of such enterprises as Butlins Holiday Camps and Brickwoods the brewers, to survive and eventually migrate to preserved railways.

Click on the thumbnails for a larger image. Clicking again will close the window.
If there is a larger version, clicking on the 'F' key will display it.
  • 59 Cheam
    Shoreditch
    Another contender for the oldest photo of a Terrier that we have on our web site: A1 Class º59 Cheam at Shoreditch in 1900. Cheam was renumbered 659 in June 1901 and rebuilt as Class A1x in December 1921. The condensing pipes were removed when the locomotives were rebuilt.
    Photograph reproduced by arrangement with Honeywood Heritage Centre, Carshalton, courtesy of Tony Price.
  • 58 Wandle
     
    º58 was allocated to Wandle, seen here as º658 on an unknown date between June 1901 and March 1902. Unlike so many of this class Wandle had a relatively short life, being withdrawn in March 1902, just nine months after she was renumbered.
    Photograph reproduced by arrangement with Honeywood Heritage Centre, Carshalton, courtesy of Tony Price.
  • 515S Whitechapel
    Lancing
    º515S was formerly º50 Whitechapel, renumbered 650 by the LB&SCR and B650 by the Southern Railway, she was sent to the Isle of Wight as ºW9 Fishbourne in 1930, repatriated to the mainland in 1930 she took the number 2650 but then sent to Lancing Carriage Works in 1937 as º515S. She was returned to capital stock in 1953 as º32650, her sixth number! Withdrawn in 1964 she was sold to Sutton Borough Council and was subsequently loaned to the K&ESR. Quite a career!
    Photograph: John Wills Photographic Collection.
  • 82 Boxhill
    Guildford
    LBSCR º82 Boxhill, on foreign soil at Guildford shed in 1949 and pictured after being preserved. This loco was used as Brighton Works shunter º380S between 1920 and 1947 and is the closest to an original A1 that you can get, although the Southern Railway exchanged the chimney for a "slim-line" Drummond one. She was painted in full Stroudley livery in 1946 and reverted to being º82 when withdrawn and preserved. Boxhill, together with º81 Beulah was temporarily converted to 2-4-0T for Brighton-Worthing and Brighton-Kemp Town light pull and push train working.
    Photograph: Mike Morant collection.
  • 380S Boxhill
    Brighton
    Boxhill, as º380S, once more, with a very new-lookingº21C164 Fighter Command immediately behind!
    Photograph: John Wills Photographic Collection.
  • 680S
    Lancing
    The works loco at Lancing Carriage Works was º680S - seen here in Southern Railway days. She started life as LBSCR º54 Waddon, later º654, and was sold to the SECR in 1904 to become their º751 in full Wainwright livery. Following the formation of the Southern Railway she became ºA751 and was taken into service stock as º680S in 1932. Withdrawn in 1962, º680S was restored to full LBSCR Stroudley livery at Eastliegh prior to being sent to the Delson Museum, near Montreal, Canada. Never rebuilt as an A1x, º680S was fitted with the boiler from A1x º678, so is now neither a true A1, nor an A1x!
    Photograph: Mike Morant collection
  • 32636
    Kemp Town
    º32636 at Kemp Town station with the RCTS Brighton Works Centenary Special on 5th October 1952.
    Photograph: Mike Morant collection
  • 32662
    Axminster
    º32662 in company with 0415 class º30583 photographed a long way from home at Axminster, with the RCTS 25th Anniversary Special on 28th June 1953.
    Photograph: Mike Morant collection
  • W13 & W8
    Eastleigh
    ºW8 & ºW13 at Eastleigh. Recently repatriated from the Isle of Wight, they've had their nameplates removed and are awaiting repainting prior to further use on the mainland. ºW8 is in plain black and ºW13 is in malachite, with the BRITISH RAILWAYS in Southern Railway lettering. Following a light overhaul, they were renumbered º32646 and º32677 respectively but their liveries remained the same as when they were on the Island (apart from, of course, removal of the nameplates) and both worked on the Hayling Island branch. º32677 thus operated in malachite green on the mainland and was not painted lined black until September 1952.
    Photograph: Mike Morant collection
  • DS377
    Caterham
    On 6th August 1956, the Brighton Works shunter (ºDS377) made its way as a light engine working from Brighton to Purley at which point it was attached to a three coach "birdcage" set and adorned with a somewhat defacing headboard all of which heralded the short existence of the train run to mark the centenary of The Caterham Railway Company.
    What would today's "Nanny State" make of this?
    Photograph by Mike Morant.
  • DS377
    Birdcage set
    A further view of ºDS377 with the birdcage set, in colour this time, of DS377 with the Caterham Centenary train.
    Photograph: David Cobbe/Mike Morant collection.
  • DS377
    Brighton Works
    ºDS377 again, outside Brighton Works. Originally LBSCR º35 Morden she was renumbered as 377S in 1946 and repainted in Stroudley livery during 1947. BR(S) continued the Stroudley livery and added the words "Brighton Works". Subsequently returned to capital stock and renumbered as º32635 in 1959, she still carried the Stroudley livery.
    Photograph: Mike Morant collection.
  • 32636 & 32650
    Havant
    º32636 together with º32650 at Havant on 24th February 1957 with the LCGB "Southern Counties Limited" rail tour.
    Photograph: Mike Morant collection.
  • 32662
    Tenterden
    º32662 at Tenterden on 11th June 1961 with the LCGB "The South Eastern Limited" rail tour.
    Photograph: Mike Morant collection.
  • 32650
    Eastleigh
    º32650 photographed whilst at Eastleigh.
    Photograph: Mike Morant collection.
  • 32650
    Havant
    º32650 photographed at Havant on 19th August 1962.
    Photograph by Mike Morant.
  • 32636 & 32418
    Brighton
    º32636 with E6 class º32418 and the RCTS (Sussex & Kent Branch) The Sussex Special Rail Tour of 7th October 1962 near London Road, Brighton whilst on route to Seaford.
    Photograph by Mike Morant.
  • 32650
    Eastleigh
    º32650 is depicted inside Eastleigh MPD on 11 July 1963, a few months before withdrawal.
    Photograph by Mike Morant.
  • 32640
    Brighton
    º32640 photographed at Brighton during August 1963.
    Photograph by John Bradbeer.
  • 32670
    Havant
    º32670 waits at the head of its train for the next departure from Havant for Hayling Island. Note the spark arrester fitted to the chimney.
    Photograph by Keith Harwood.
  • 32646
    Havant
    º32646 has detached from its train at Havant and is about to take water before running round, ready for its next trip to Hayling Island.
    Photograph by Keith Harwood.
  • 32670
     
    º32670 en route from Havant for Hayling Island.
    Photograph by Keith Harwood.
  • 32646
    Hayling Island
    º32646 taking on coal at Hayling Island station's coal stage.
    Photograph by Keith Harwood.
  • 32636
    Fratton

     
    º32636 photographed shunting wagons at Fratton.
    Photograph by Ray Soper.

LBSCR A1 / A1x class 0-6-0T - Gypsyhill

"Great Westernized" Terrier º5 photographed during June 1951 whilst in store at Swindon.
Photograph courtesy Jerry Ricketts and stated to be in the Public Domain when posted on the alt.binaries.pictures.rail newsgroup.
It will be removed if the original author deems that to be necessary.
This is one "Terrier" that led a very full life! Built in June 1877 and entering traffic as A1 class º43, Gypsyhill, subsequently renumbered by the LB&SCR as º643 and converted to class A1x, she was sold by the Southern Railway in 1925 to the Weston, Cleveland and Portishead Railway where she became º2 Portishead. In 1940 she was absorbed into the GWR (who had absorbed the WC&PR) and became their º5. Following nationalization of the railways in 1948 she entered British Railways (Western Region) stock as BR º5, the number she kept until final withdrawal in March 1954. However, was she used again after 1951?

Preserved Terriers

º72 Fenchurch

photograph by Ray Soper

º 72 Fenchurch, in the guise of former owner "Newhaven Harbour Company" (who bought her from the LB&SCR in 1898) outside the engine shed at Sheffield Park on 28 March 1965.

Fenchurch was not the first A1 to be built, that was Wapping, but she was the first in service, and is still in service today, some 150 years later. Various sizes of cylinder were used on these locomotives down the years, at different times 10 x 26, 12 x 26, 13 x 26 and 14 x 26 but Fenchurch capped 'em all by at one stage having 14 3/16 x 26!
Click on the thumbnails for a larger image.
  • Fenchurch
    Bluebell Rly
    º72 Fenchurch, with º323 Bluebell, photographed together at the fledgling Bluebell Railway.
    Photograph by Ray Soper.
  • Fenchurch
    Horsted Keynes
    º72 Fenchurch, now as herself, at Horsted Keynes in the early days of the Bluebell Railway, c.1965.
    Photograph by Keith Harwood.
  • Fenchurch
    Double heading
    Fenchurch double-heading with º3217 in June 1972.
    Photograph by Michael Taylor.

º55 Stepney

photograph by John Lewis

º55 Stepney in the locomotive shed at Sheffield Park. Note the prominent wooden toolbox, missing on the IoW versions due to their extended bunkers.

Click on the thumbnails for a larger image.
  • Stepney
    Sheffield Park
    With "Terriers" it almost seems to be the rule that the lower the number the newer the loco - quite the opposite of what you would expect! Stepney was not built until December 1875 but carried the number 55. She remained with the LBSC/SR/BR, being renumbered 655, B655, 2655 and finally 32655 before being sold by BR to the Bluebell Railway in 1960 where she has reverted to being º55. Seen here at Horsted Keynes on 17th May 1960.
    Photograph by Ray Soper.
  • Stepney
    Sheffield Park
    º55 Stepney taking water at Sheffield Park station during the very early days of the Bluebell. Stepney was the Bluebell's very first engine, arriving under her own steam via Haywards Heath and Horsted Keynes on 17th May 1960. She cost just £750.
    Photograph by Ray Soper.
  • Stepney
    Sheffield Park
    Looking quite diminutive when compared with the coach behind, it's hard to imagine that these locos were once the backbone of the London commuter trains on the East London and South London routes.
    Photograph by Ray Soper.
  • Stepney
    Horsted Keynes
    Push-pull working was sometimes adopted in the early days of the Bluebell Railway. Here º55 Stepney is seen leaving Horsted Keynes for Sheffield Park, with the LNWR Observation car and an SECR 100 seater compartment coach.
    Photograph by Keith Harwood.
  • Stepney
    Horsted Keynes
    º55 Stepney propelling the SECR brake van to Horsted Keynes on Sunday, 23 September 2000 during a Footplate Days and Ways Footplate and Firing experience trip.
    Photograph by Michael Taylor.
  • Stepney as
    Brighton Works
    During 1999 number º55 Stepney was temporarily re-lettered as the Brighton Works shunter Brighton Worksfor a photographic charter, pictured here on 6th June 1999.
    Photograph by Michael Taylor.

º54 Waddon

54  54

photographs by Gene Kruger.

A long way from home, º54 Waddon stands outside at the Canadian Railway Museum.

Built in December 1875, º54 Waddon was bought by the SECR in September 1904 as º751, later becoming a shunter at Lancing, SR º680S. It was preserved and shipped to Exporail, the Canadian Railway Museum, in the suburbs of Delson and Saint Constant near Montreal in Canada, in June 1962.

In recent years, stories have been circulating telling of the locomotive being in a sorry, uncared for state. Whether true or not, this is now not the case, as these pictures taken on 8th July 2005 and 11th August 2011 show.

Click on the thumbnails for a larger image.
  • Waddon
    Montreal
    Looking into the tiny cab from the driver's side, the most obvious control visible being the reverser, which partially blocks the entrance!
    Photograph by Gene Kruger.
  • Waddon
    Montreal
    On the opposite cabside is the Westinghouse brake pump. It seems almost unimaginable that a locomotive built as long ago as Waddon would have air brakes.
    Photograph by Gene Kruger.
  • Waddon
    Montreal
    The fireman doesn't have an obstruction in the doorway to contend with. This view shows more detail of the pole type reverser, and also the backhead, where the gauge glasses are without their protective covers.
    Photograph by Gene Kruger.
  • Waddon
    Montreal
    Waddon photographed on 11th August 2011, now under cover in Exporail's reserve collection.
    Photograph by Colin Duff.
  • Waddon
    Montreal
    Waddon photographed once more in the museum, this time in August 2018.
    Photograph by Chris Tagart.
  • Waddon
    Montreal
    The display board alongside Waddon in the museum, this time in August 2018.
    Photograph by Chris Tagart.

Technical Details

Introduced:
Driving Wheel:
Length:
Weight:
Cylinders (2):
Boiler Pressure:
Water Capacity:
Coal capacity:
Tractive Effort:
BR Power Classification:
1872
4 ft
26 ft ½ in
28 tons 5 cwt
§12 in x 20 in
150 lb sq in
500 gals
1 ton
10,695 lbs
0-P
§ Different sizes were fitted over the years, varying from 12 ins to 14 3/16 ins.

Data

The LBSC was better than the other Southern Companies in keeping locomotive classes more or less in consecutive numbers, but they could issue these numbers somewhat randomly! With the "Terriers" they really excelled themselves. The following table is set out in order of build:
Early
LBSC º
Later
LBSC º
SR º # BR º Name ¶ Built
(as A1)
Rebuilt
(as A1x)
Notes
71 671 - - Wapping Oct 1872 - Bought by K&ESR 1905 as º5 Rolvenden, scrapped 1938
70 - - 32670 Poplar Nov 1972 - Bought by Rother Valley Rly May 1901 as º3 Bodiam, withdrawn Nov 1963, preserved at KESR
72§ - 2636 32636 Fenchurch Nov 1872 Apr 1913 Bought by Newhaven Harbour Co. 1898, to SR 1927, bought by Bluebell Rly 1964
73 673 - - Deptford Nov 1872 Feb 1912 Bought by Edge Hill Lt Rly Apr 1919 as º1, withdrawn 1946
74 674 - - Shadwell Nov 1872 - Bought by EHLR Jul 1920 as º2, withdrawn 1946
75 - - - Blackwell Nov 1872 - Bought by IWCR Mar 1899 as º9, withdrawn 1927
64 664 - - Kemptown Jun 1874 - Withdrawn Jan 1903
65 - - - Tooting Jun 1874 - Withdrawn Feb 1901
66 666 - - Hatcham Jun 1874 - Withdrawn Feb 1901
67 667 - - Brixton Jun 1874 - Bought by Grassmoor Collieries Apr 1920, withdrawn 1935
68 668 2735 - Clapham Aug 1874 - Bought by LSWR 1903 as º735, withdrawn 1937
69 - W10 W10 Peckham Aug 1874 - Bought by IWCR Apr 1900 as º10 Cowes, withdrawn 1949
59 659 2659 32659 Cheam Oct 1875 Dec 1912 Withdrawn Jun 1963
60 660 - - Ewell Oct 1875 - Withdrawn Jun 1903
61 661 2661 32661 Sutton Oct 1875 Jan 1912 Withdrawn Apr 1963
62 662 2662 32662 Martello Oct 1875 Dec 1912 Withdrawn Nov 1963, preserved at Bressingham Steam Museum
63 663 B663 - Preston Oct 1875 May 1913 Withdrawn Mar 1925
58 658 - - Wandle Nov 1875 - Withdrawn Mar 1902
52 652 - - Surrey Dec 1875 - Bought by Pauling & Co 1902 as º38, withdrawn 1920?
53 653 2653 - Ashtead Dec 1875 May 1912 Bought by WP&CLR Feb 1937 as º4, became GWR º6 1940, withdrawn 1948
54 654 1751 DS680 Waddon Dec 1875 - Bought by SECR Sep 1904 as º751. Became Lancing shunter as SR º680S. Preserved and shipped to the Delson Museum, near Montreal, Canada, Jun 1962
55 655 2655 32655 Stepney Dec 1875 Oct 1912 Bought by Bluebell Rly May 1960
56 656 - - Shoreditch Dec 1875 - Withdrawn Dec 1903
57 657 - - Thames Dec 1875 - Bought by Pauling & Co May 1902, withdrawn 1920?
46 646 W2, W8 32646 Newington Dec 1876 - Bought by LSWR Feb 1917 as º734, bought by FYNR as º2, became SR W2, named Freshwater Oct 1928, renumbered W8 Apr 1932, returned to mainland as 32646, withdrawn Aug 1949
47 647 2647 32647 Cheapside Dec 1876 Jan 1912 Withdrawn Oct 1951
48 648 - - Leadenhall Dec 1876 - Withdrawn Aug 1901
49 649 - - Bishopsgate Dec 1876 - Bought by Pauling & Co 1902 as º78, withdrawn Oct 1909
50 650 2650 32650 Whitechapel Dec 1876 May 1920 To IoW 1930 as W9 Fishbourne, returned 1936, to Lancing Works 1937 as 515S, withdrawn Nov 1963, sold to Kent & East Sussex Railway.
51 651 - - Rotherhithe Dec 1876 - Withdrawn Feb 1901
41 - - - Piccadilly Jun 1877 - Withdrawn Jun 1902
42 642 B2642 - Tulsehill Jun 1877 - To Battersea shed pilot Oct 1919 - May 1922 as º642S, returned 1923 as º642, withdrawn May 1925
43 643 - 5 Gipsyhill Jun 1877 Sep 1919 Bought by WC&PR 1925 as º2 Portishead, became GWR º5 1940, withdrawn Mar 1954
44 644 2644 32644 Fulham Jun 1877 Nov 1912 Withdrawn Apr 1951
45 645 - - Merton Jun 1877 - Withdrawn Jul 1904. Last "Terrier" to be scrapped by LBSC
40 - W11 32640 Brighton Mar 1878 Aug 1918 Awarded Gold Medal at Paris Exhibition, 1878. Bought by IWCR 1902 as º11, Named "Newport" by SR, returned 1947, withdrawn Sep 1963, now preserved at the IoWSR
76 - - - Hailsham Jul 1877 - Withdrawn Jan 1903
37 637 - - Southdown May 1878 - To Loco Dept, Battersea, Jun 1908, bought by British Government Feb 1918
38 638 - - Millwall May 1878 - Brighton works shunter Aug 1906-Feb 1918 as º638 Loco Dept in black, lined red. Bought by British Government 1918, then by S&MR as º8 Dido
39 - - - Denmark May 1878 - Bought by Pauling & Co Jul 1902 as º87, withdrawn Oct 1909
35 635 2635 32635 Morden Jun 1878 Apr 1922 To Brighton Works Aug 1946, as 377S, repainted in Stroudley livery 1947, continued thus under BR, named Brighton Works reverted to capital stock Jan 1959 as 32635, still in Stroudley livery, withdrawn Mar 1963
36 - - - Bramley Jun 1878 - Bought by Pauling & Co 1902 as º38, withdrawn Oct 1909
77 677 W3/W13 32677 Wonersh Jun 1880 Nov 1911 Withdrawn by SR 1925, stored, to IoW 1927 as ºW3, ºlater W13, Carisbrooke, returned 1949, withdrawn Sep 1959
78 678 W4/2678 32678 Knowle Jun 1880 Nov 1911 Withdrawn by SR 1925, stored, to IoW 1929 as ºW4, Bembridge, returned 1936, withdrawn Oct 1963, preserved at KESR
79 679 - - Minories Jun 1880 Jan 1912 Bought by British Government Jan 1918, withdrawn from Chatham Dockyard 1933
80 680 B680 - Bookham Jun 1880 Apr 1912 Withdrawn 1926
81 681 - - Beulah Jul 1880 Nov 1909 Temporarlily converted to 2-4-0T Sep 1905-Feb 1913. Bought by British Government Jan 1918, to S&MR, withdrawn 1934
82 682 380S - Boxhill July 1880 Nov 1911 Brighton Works shunter 1920-1947, the only "Terrier" to survive in original A1 condition although she was fitted with a Drummond chimney by SR. Preserved.
83 683 - - Earlswood Aug 1880 - Bought by British Government Jan 1918, to S&MR as º9 Daphne, returned to SR in 1939 as spare parts supply
84 - W12 - Crowborough Sep 1880 Jul 1916 Bought by IWCR Nov 1903 as º12, became SR ºW12 Ventnor. Withdrawn May 1936 but not scrapped until 1950

 
¶ 
§ 
Between 1923 and 1928 SR numbers were the LBSC numbers with the added prefix 'B',
although the new number may not have been applied until some time later
Nearly all LBSCR names were removed in 1906
Although first loco built was º71, º72 was the first in service
Bibliography: The London Brighton and South Coast Railway by C Hamilton Ellis
The London, Brighton & South Coast Railway web site by Dave Searle - www.lbscr.org.uk
Observer's Book of Railway Locomotives of Great Britain

This page was last updated 7 December 2023

See also the article on Two Unusual South Eastern Tank Engines in the Railway Magazine Archive.

SR Target