SREmG
 

Please be aware of our copyright notice. If you have a good reaon for using a photo from this site ask permission from first - it is frequently given.

Lymington Branch

Lymington Town

The impressive station building at Lymington Town.

photograph by Paul Ferbrache

The Lymington branch is a short five and a half mile single line, with no passing place, from Brockenhurst, in the New Forest, to Lymington Town and Lymington Pier where the train connects with the ferry to Yarmouth, IoW, - the shortest sea crossing from the mainland to the island. Authorised in 1856 the line was ready for opening in 1858 under the auspices of the Lymington Railway Company who worked it until absorbtion into the LSWR in 1878.

The Pier station is quite exposed to the Solent but as train/boat interchange is very short this isn't too much of a problem. Stabling facilities for one locomotive were provided at the Town station.

Lymington Town

Ivatt Class 2 2-6-2T Nº41224 enters the single platform Lymington Town station with its branch train for Brockenhurst on 10th September 1966, less than a year before the end of steam.

photograph by Keith Harwood

Lymington branch

Ivatt 2-6-2T Nº41224 is about to cross the Causeway from Lymington Town to Lymington Pier with its train of two Bulleid coaches.

photograph by Keith Harwood

Lymington Pier

As well as being an attractive town in its own right, Lymington is the terminal for the shortest ferry crossing to the Isle of Wight. With the interchange of passengers between train and ferry performed, both will shortly leave, for Brockenhurst and Yarmouth respectively. The date is 10th September 1966.

photograph by Keith Harwood

End of the line

For many years the Lymington Branch had been push-pull worked by M7 0-4-4Ts. These were displaced by Ivatt Class 2 2-6-2Ts during the last years of steam working and running round then became necessary. On 10th September 1966 Nº41224 has detached from its train at Lymington Pier and the ground frame operated points are being reset ready for it to run round.

photograph by Keith Harwood

Lymington Pier

The end of the platform at Lyminton Pier station on 10th September 1966. Ivatt 41224 has run round and is backing on to its train ready for the return journey to Brockenhurst. Note the modern signalbox to the left of the picture.

photograph by Keith Harwood

Lymington Shed

Lymington Town shed remained in use for overnight stabling and minor servicing until the end of steam on the Branch on 2nd April 1967. The enginemen changed shifts at the shed and Nº41224 is seen here on Sunday 10th September 1966, having left its carriages at Lymington Pier station and worked light to the shed for this purpose.

photograph by Keith Harwood

41295

Another Ivatt Class 2 2-6-2T, this time Nº41295 photographed during 1966

photograph: Mike Morant collection

Lymington

No longer is there an engine shed nor sidings.A view of looking down the platform at Lymington Town, looking towards the pier. Cep unit 1199 (ex Bep unit 2326 after losing it's buffet car in a fire) leaves for the pier. A half hourly service operates every day of the week between Brockenhurst and the pier station. Over the years since steam the line has seen a mixture a EMUs such as Haps, Veps, Cigs, Ceps and Beps.

photograph by Paul Ferbrache

Lymington

The level crossing at Lymington Town remains on the Brockenhurst side of the station and crosses the road from the town to the pier and Beaulieu. 1199 is crossing as it heads to Brockenhurst.

photograph by Paul Ferbrache

Lymington

The Lymington branch turns left from the main line to Bournemouth just outside Brockenhurst with connection to the other lines situated behind the photographer. 1199 is leaving the branch, heading towards Brockenhurst.

photograph by Paul Ferbrache

This page was last updated 4 August 2013

SR Target