Please be aware of our copyright notice. If you have a good reaon for using a photo from this site ask permission from first - it is frequently given.

Plymouth, Devonport and South Western Junction Railway

Classes 0756 and 0757

photograph: courtesy West Country Railway Archives

N°756 A S Harris seems to have led a nomadic existence until becoming shed pilot at Nine Elms from 1931 to 1939.until eventually condemned at Stewarts Lane in August 1951.

One of the smaller companies taken over by the Southern Railway at the time of the grouping was the Plymouth, Devonport and South Western Junction Railway. The company had been formed in 1883 to construct a railway from Lydford to Devonport, on a route via Tavistock, Bere Alston and St Budeaux. Work started in March 1887 and the railway opened to traffic on 2 June 1890.

The PD&SWJR consisted of a double track line about 22½ miles long and served not only the existing LSWR stations at Lydford and Devonport, but new stations were built at Brentor, Tavistock, Bere Alston, Bere Ferrers, St Budeaux, Ford and Tamerton Foliot.

From the outset the new line was leased to the LSWR which gave the LSWR an independent access to Plymouth avoiding the GWR Tavistock branch line. A branch from Bere Alston to Callington opened on 2nd March 1908 using the new Bere Alston and Calstock Light Railway, and the East Cornwall Mineral Railway which was re-gauged from 3' 6" to 4' 8½". The branch was engineered under the supervision of Colonel Stephens of Kent and East Sussex fame, and was operated independently and not by the LSWR.

For this extension three steam locomotives were purchased from Hawthorn Leslie and Company. The new locomotives' livery was blue with brass dome covers and chimney caps and they were named after the company's directors. The two 0-6-2Ts were named Lord St Leven and Earl of Mount Edgecumbe and the 0-6-0T was named A S Harris. The LSWR actually absorbed the PD&SWJR just prior to the grouping and Numbers 3 to 5 were repainted in LSWR sage green livery and re-numbered N°756 to N°758.

Click on the thumbnails for a larger image.
If there is a larger version, clicking on the 'F' key will display it. Clicking again will close the window.
  • 30757
    After the move to Eastleigh Earl of Mount Edgcumbe acted as shed and works pilot until it was withdrawn at the end of 1957. Seen here at an Eastleigh Works Open Day in 1956 or 1957.
    Photograph by Mike Morant.
  • 30758
    For a brief period in August 1926 Lord St Leven took part in trials on the newly-opened North Devon & Cornwall Junction Light Railway from Torrington to Halwill Junction - another railway in which Colonel Stephens had been involved.
    Photograph by Mike Hutton.

Technical Details

Driving Wheel:
Cylinders (2):
Boiler Pressure:
4 ft 0½ ins (N°756 3 ft 10 in)
16 in x 24 in (N°756 14 in x 22 in)
170 lb sq in


PD&SWJR N° Name; LSWR/SR N° BR N° Wheel Arrangement Withdrawn
A S Harris
Earle of Mount Edgecumbe
Lord St Leven
August 1951
December 1957
December 1956

This page was last updated 25 August 2013

SR Target