Please be aware of our copyright notice. If you have a good reaon for using a photo from this site ask permission from first - it is frequently given.


photograph: Mike Morant collection

2-Nol unit N°1857 is the front of a pair photographed at Worthing, believed to have been during 1935. Headcode 1 denotes they were working between Brighton and West Worthing. The "3s" on the Third Class doors are quite prominent.

The first batch of fifty 2-Nol, (or 2 Car No Lavatory) numbered 1813 to 1862 were introduced on the Brighton - West Worthing services from 1934. They were also used for local services on the newly-electrified routes from Horsted Keynes to Seaford, via Haywards Heath and Lewes, and from Brighton to Seaford or Eastbourne and Ore via Lewes. Two further batches were built in 1936, 1863 to 1882 to replace older units on the Waterloo - Wimbledon services and 1883 to 1890 for the Staines - Weybridge electrification. The coaches utilised old L&SWR bodies mounted on new underframes built by the SR at Lancing. During WWII, with the reduction of services on the South Coast, many of the units were transferred to the London suburban area where their First Class was downgraded to Third Class, ostensibly for the duration but, in the event, many of them remained Third Class only and working in the London area only for the rest of their working lives. Most of the units had the SR standard Metropolitan-Vickers electrical control gear at the rear of the driving cab but the last eightto be builthad the later SR standard English Electric underfloor-mounted control gear which resulted in a larger Guard's van.

During 1943 and 1944 the units that had remained on the South Coast were modified when the coupé was incorprated into the Guard's Van to give a larger luggage area. Then between 1944 and 1950 most of the London area units received the same treatment. The units with the English Electric control gear retained their coupés until withdrawal. With the exception of withdrawal due to accident damage, withdrawls started in 1956 and were complete by 1959, the underframes being re-used for new-build 2 Hap and 2 EPB units.

This page was last updated 15 May 2010

SR Target